Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Drum roll please



Isenberger Casserole

8oz noodles (4 dry cups) (I use between 2 1/2-3C)
1lb ground beef
1 16oz can tomato sauce (or 15oz) (I use 2 15oz cans)
8oz cream cheese
1C cottage cheese (I omit this all together)
1/4 chopped green pepper (I buy pepper strips and we like peppers so I just chop however much sounds good that day)

Cook noodles; drain
Skillet brown gd beef, add green pepper
Stir in tomato sauce. (I make sure to cook this so it's very thick)
Add salt and pepper to taste
Combine cottage cheese and cream cheese (I let the cream cheese come to room temp while the beef mixture is cooking and then cut the block into 12 little squares)
In a buttered 2 qt casserole spread half the noodles. (I use my 9x13 glass baking dish and it works great)
Cover with cheese mixture, then remaining noodles (I add the 12 squares at this point, arranging them into 4 rows of 3 squares, then the remaining noodles)
Cover with meat sauce mixture (you want to make sure no noodles stick out the top of the meat sauce mixture they get hard if they do, this is tricky and I still don't get it perfect every time!!)
Bake at 350 for 40 mins
Serves 6 to 8 (or 3-4 if everyone is starving)

We always serve this with green beans and crescent rolls and milk to drink. Please email me if you want clarification on the original recipe vs my changes. Also a note on the cottage cheese, I take this out because we love how rich just the cream cheese is, if your family isn't big on rich foods please mix the two cheeses together, it's still enjoyable the original way too. Enjoy!!

*Photos courtesy of K. Whaley*


1 comment:

  1. Just wondering if we can expect a sequel any time soon? :)

    ReplyDelete