Friday, February 12, 2010

Guilt Free Brownies

 
Everyday Foods Jan/Feb 2005

4 oz semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
2 Tbsp butter
1 C sugar
1 large egg plus one egg white
2.5 oz prune puree
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C flour
1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350. Line bottom and sides of an 8" square baking pan with foil. Set aside. In a double boiler melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat. Immediately whisk in sugar, egg, egg white, prune puree, vanilla and salt until smooth. In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder. Stir into chocolate mixture just until incorporated. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake until top is firm about 30 mins. (A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with a few moist crumbs) Let cool completely in pan. Using foil lift brownies from pan. Peel off foil. Cut into 16 squares.

I Pamed my foil, because I didn't want to chance having the brownies stick to the pan. I did not let them cool in the pan BUT will next time. I bought the prune puree in the baby food aisle. It came with enough puree to double the recipe. It cost $1.00 for the two containers. I was going to buy a bigger bag of prunes and puree them myself but decided if the recipe wasn't good, I didn't want that many prunes around the house. They taste great!! I didn't tell Chad the secret ingredient. Some ingredients are better off not known.


1 comment:

  1. prunes?? That is so funny! I guess its a perfect place to sneak them in. :-)

    I like the "What's Cooking?" Background. Cute!

    ReplyDelete